Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark) - EN
- Parent Category: ROOT
- Category: Ubuntu Items - EN
- Published: Wednesday, 27 December 2017 15:05
- Hits: 574
Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark)
Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark)
On October 19, 2017 Canonical released version 17.10 of Ubuntu. This successor to Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty Zapus) was given the code name 'Artful Aardvark'. This desktop version has been the biggest innovation since 2011 for Ubuntu Linux distribution, the Unity 7 desktop manager of Ubuntu has been replaced by Gnome 3.26. The new release contains the Linux kernel 4.13
This desktop version has been the biggest innovation since 2011 for Ubuntu Linux distribution, the Unity 7 desktop manager of Ubuntu has been replaced by Gnome 3.26. The Unity desktop environment that was in use since 2011 is replaced by the original Gnome what was used for 2011, partly because the development of the mobile versions of Ubuntu for Phones are immediately stopped. In April 2017, Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth announced that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will simply have the Gnome desktop and not its own Unity desktop. The new release contains the Linux kernel 4.13 Ubuntu 17.10 is free to download from October 19, 2017. Existing Ubuntu users can upgrade as they are used to. A new LTS version of Ubuntu - with 5 years of support - will be released in April 2018.
- Version: 17.10
- Releasestatus: Final
- Releasedate: 19 oktober 2017
- Operating system: Linux
- Kernel: Linux kernel 4.13
- Website: Canonical
- Releasenotes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes
- Download: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
- Architecture: 64 bit
- OS family: GNU/Linux
- Support type: regular, nonLTS
- Support lifespan: 9 maanden
- Image size: 1.5GB
- Init system: systemd
- Display server: X11, Mir
- Desktop environment: Gnome 3.26
- Source code: Launchpad, CDIMAGE
To upgrade an existing version you can find the instruction on the following link:
Upgrading from Ubuntu 17.04
To upgrade on a desktop system:
- Open the "Software & Updates" Setting in System Settings.
- Select the 3rd Tab called "Updates".
- Set the "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version" dropdown menu to "For any new version".
- Press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -c" (without the quotes) into the command box.
- Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '17.10' is available.
- If not you can also use "/usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release-gtk"
- Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
To upgrade on a server system:
- Install the update-manager-core package if it is not already installed.
- Make sure the Prompt line in /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades is set to normal.
- Launch the upgrade tool with the command sudo do-release-upgrade.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Note that the server upgrade will use GNU screen and automatically re-attach in case of dropped connection problems.
- For other changes since 16.04 LTS, see the 17.04 Release Notes and 16.10 Release Notes.
- Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtfulAardvark/ReleaseNotes
- https://www.ubuntu.com/ Ubuntu website
- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ Ubuntu wiki